by Kelli R. Parker on Sep 1, 2023
The People’s Rally for Abortion Justice
02/17/2022, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
South Carolina Statehouse, 1100 Gervais St, Columbia, SC 29208
Join WREN, Planned Parenthood Votes! South Atlantic, and a broad coalition of advocates, activists, community leaders, and storytellers from across the state on Thursday, February 17, for The People’s Rally for Abortion Justice.
State lawmakers are ramming through a total ban on abortion. In short, this ban would make abortion a crime. Anyone who violates this law, whether it’s the doctor who provided an abortion or the person who tried to end their pregnancy, could be charged with murder and face the death penalty.
South Carolina state lawmakers are trying to silence our voices, but we won’t let them. We have to fight back against this attack on our bodies, our decisions, and our futures. We need to show up in a big way, and we need you with us. Sign up to rally with us on Feb. 17 and bring as many people as you can!
We’ll gather at the State House in Columbia (side facing Gervais Street). The press conference will start at 9 a.m. The rally will start at 10 a.m., followed by lobbying activities.
More about the abortion ban: Senate Bill 988
- Anti-abortion politicians in Columbia have introduced 17 bills so far in the 2021-2022 session to ban and severely restrict abortion. One of these bills moving quickly at the State House is a total ban on abortion.
- Senate Bill 988 will ban all abortions in South Carolina if the Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court decision which established that a person has a constitutional right to an abortion. All signs point to the Supreme Court dismantling federal abortion rights before June of this year.
- Senate Bill 988 will also result in South Carolinians being punished for pregnancy outcomes beyond their control. Those who suffer miscarriages can expect to be investigated by law enforcement to determine if the person caused an abortion or if the miscarriage was unintentional.
We are stronger together. Thank you to our coalition partners:
- ACLU of South Carolina
- Carolina Abortion Fund
- Palmetto State Abortion Fund
- S.C. Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault
- S.C. United Coalition for Equality and Justice
Categories: Advocacy, Social
Type:See All Events