Economic Opportunity, Gender Justice, Health and Education, News, Policy Updates
WREN Statement on Leaked Draft SCOTUS Decision
by Ann Warner on May 3, 2022
WREN is outraged by the alleged draft majority opinion from the United States Supreme Court on the Mississippi abortion case that was leaked in the news on May 2nd. We condemn any decision by the Supreme Court that would threaten the rights to abortion care that have been the law of the land for 50 years. Abortion is an essential human right, and it has enormous implications for the health, economic well-being, and freedoms of people in every community in our state and nation.
In the days ahead, there will be wild speculation and immense anxiety about what this draft decision means for the fate of abortion rights in the United States. We want to acknowledge that stress and anxiety are real and fully justified in this moment, especially since we have experienced years of rollbacks on abortion rights. We also want to ground ourselves in what we know to be true at this time:
- Abortion is still legal in South Carolina.
- If you need help accessing abortion care, visit http://abortionfinder.org/
- If you need to request financial assistance or practical support (rides, lodging, or escorting), abortions funds can assist you.
- ARC Southeast https://arc-southeast.org/get-abortion-assistance/
- Carolina Abortion Fund https://www.carolinaabortionfund.org/
- WREN is here to fight for your right to safe abortion care in South Carolina.
- We will know much more about the legal situation when the Supreme Court issues its official decision, which could happen anytime between now and late June. We are prepared for whatever comes, and we will keep you informed.
We need our community to come together at this time to speak up loudly in support of continued access to abortion and full bodily autonomy in South Carolina. Please sign this petition right now.
In the coming days and weeks, there will be more information to share and actions to take. This is a bleak moment, but if we stand together, our movement for reproductive freedom and bodily autonomy will prevail.