WREN is Hiring a Policy Assistant
by Ashley Lidow on Sep 4, 2018
Deadline to apply is September 21st, 2018.
The Women’s Rights and Empowerment Network (WREN) is a nonpartisan nonprofit organization whose mission is to build a movement to advance the health, economic well-being, and rights of South Carolina’s women, girls and their families.
The Policy Assistant is a member of the Policy and Government Relations (PGR) team and reports directly to the Director of Policy and Government Relations. The Policy Assistant will provide administrative and research support and will have the opportunity to engage in a range of policy issues in a collaborative team. This is a paid, part-time, up to 29-hours per week, temporary position starting late September 2018 through December 2018, with a possibility of extension through May 2019.
Duties Include (but are not limited to):
Research and policy support:
- Provides PGR team with support in data collection and analysis of various topics, organizations, and key stakeholders in the field;
- Assists in reviewing documents for accuracy as well as writing reports, summaries, preparing PowerPoint presentations and other WREN research products;
- Assists in data organization and management;
- Assists in developing, maintaining, and distributing policy-related materials (reports, briefings, blogs, and presentations) for partners, policymakers, and legislative and agency staff;
- Prepares correspondence, letters, meeting minutes and other communication as appropriate;
- Assists with scheduling and logistical support for internal and external meetings, including making travel arrangements, prepares expense/travel reimbursements, credit card reconciliations, check requests.
- Participates in meetings, learning about the wide variety of programs, which is an opportunity to learn strategy and tactics;
- Contributes to implementation of overall WREN work plan and assists with special events and projects, as other job duties allow; and
- Communicates regularly and proactively with Policy and Government Relations team about workflow and progress on key tasks.
- Possess a keen interest and curiosity in policy research and analysis affecting South Carolinians;
- Experience working with Excel spreadsheets and/or databases;
- Experience conducting basic statistical analyses (means, percentages, confidence intervals, standard deviation, etc.);
- Experience conducting literature reviews and other background research for specific topics;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively across internal and external teams;
- Excellent relationship management and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication and follow‐up skills;
- Excellent writing, copy editing, and proofreading skills;
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to prioritize and manage multiple complex tasks while maintaining composure under demanding deadlines;
- Flexibility in approach and willingness to adapt when necessary; and
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, show initiative, achieve goals, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
Position: Policy Assistantship
Compensation: $12-15 per hour, depending on experience
Application: Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, September 21, 2018.