The hits just keep on coming…
by Ashley Lidow on Jul 10, 2018
As we all come back from barbeques and fireworks, those who show disdain for women’s bodily autonomy have been hard at work.
President Trump announced that Judge Brett Kavanaugh is his nominee to replace Justice Kennedy on the Supreme Court. Here is some background on Kavanaugh:
- He ruled against Jane Doe, a young immigrant woman who needed abortion care.
- Last year at a speech, Kavanaugh praised the dissent in Roe v. Wade, calling the idea that women have a constitutional right to an abortion “freewheeling”.
- He believes that a boss’s religious beliefs should override an employee’s access to birth control coverage.
- He believes that the president should be about the law, which means he will not serve as a check on the executive branch.
What else we know:
- Most voters do not want to overturn Roe v. Wade.
- President Trump has promised to only appoint justices who will overturn Roe v. Wade. His quote: “I am putting pro-life justices on the court.”
- President Trump has kept his promise so far with lower court judges who are biased against constitutional rights and access to abortion.
With all of these hits coming in, we need to take action now.
Tell your Senators to oppose Judge Kavanaugh for the Supreme Court.
We need to keep pressure on the Senate to ensure the highest court is not biased or political.
Click this link and enter your information to get a call connecting you to your elected official, OR dial 803-205-2919 and we’ll patch your through to your senator.
Here’s what to say:
“As your constituent, I urge you to defend our rights by opposing Judge Brett Kavanaugh, President Trump’s nominee to the Supreme Court. The rights and freedoms of an entire generation are at stake.
The Supreme Court decides the fundamental legal rights that we rely on every day: the constitutional right to liberty, including Roe v. Wade, and to equal protection; important health and safety regulations, and laws that protect against sex discrimination at work and at school. We need a Supreme Court Justice who will protect all of us. I’m counting on you to oppose Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination and only support justices who will uphold women’s constitutional rights, including abortion.”
Also, tune into our Facebook livestream on Friday at noon, where we will further discuss this with Susan Dunn of the ACLU of South Carolina.
We’ll keep you updated. In the meantime, keep fighting the good fight.