by WREN Staff on Feb 21, 2020
Our nest is getting bigger! Meet WREN’s newest staff member and Network Engagement Manager, Kayla Mallet.
1. Where are you from?
The Mighty Metropolis of Manning, South Carolina – Clarendon County.
2. What did you do before coming to WREN?
Prior to joining this team, I coordinated a statewide panel of citizens who were federally mandated to review the policies and practices of the child protective services division of the Department of Social Services.
3. What drove you to get involved in this cause?
I’ve admired the work being done at WREN for years. I think intentionally creating space for women*** to engage in advocacy work and amplifying their voices is valuable and necessary.
4. When you’re not working, how do you like to spend your time?
I most enjoy listening to Anita Baker, tending to my houseplants, kayaking, napping, and hanging out with my teenage daughter, Rissy.
5. If you could meet one person from any period of time, who would it be?
6. What is one mantra that you live by?
Black women deserve to feel safe, seen, and supported.
7. What’s one thing that excites you about 2020?