Job Opening: Policy Associate
Aug 18, 2023
The Women’s Rights and Empowerment Network (WREN) is a statewide, nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that is building a movement to advance the health, economic well-being, and rights of women, girls, gender-expansive people, and their families in South Carolina. WREN engages and influences diverse audiences – from our 40,000+ member database, hundreds of non-profit partners, elected officials, business leaders, donors, and the general public.
The Policy Associate is a full-time position, reporting to the Director of Policy and Government Relations. The Policy Associate will be a member of the Policy and Government Relations Department.
Level, Compensation & Benefits
• Starting salary range is $45,000-55,000, with final offer contingent on experience and qualifications.
• This is a full-time position, based in Columbia, South Carolina at WREN’s headquarters, with some flexibility for remote work.
• Competitive benefits package includes medical and dental coverage (100% of coverage for employee), 12 weeks parental leave, paid time off and – holidays, contribution to retirement plan, and support for professional development.
• Regular in-state travel and some additional domestic travel required. Some evening and weekend hours required.
The Policy Associate will support the implementation of WREN’s policy and advocacy campaigns for Gender Justice in South Carolina. The Policy Associate will be a self-starter and collaborative member of the WREN team and will assist in the implementation of multi-pronged campaign plans aimed at achieving Gender Justice in SC. The main responsibilities of this role include policy and legislative support; coalition coordination; research; and other administrative tasks.
Overview of Responsibilities
Policy & Legislative Support
• Track, monitor, and analyze proposed legislation, regulations, budget proposals, and policy developments.
• Prepare materials for meetings with policymakers and respond to requests for information from policymakers, advocacy groups, and the media.
• Coordinate the creation of advocacy toolkits for priority legislation.
• Draft advocacy and engagement materials, including factsheets, talking points, one-pagers, issue briefs, presentations, videos, and other digital and print assets for policy campaigns.
• Maintain policy and advocacy databases and run reports as needed.
• Provide scheduling and logistical support for internal and external Coalition meetings, including the South Carolina Coalition for Healthy Families;
• Draft regular and timely email updates, meeting minutes, and strategy notes;
• Maintain coalition materials and files
• Conduct policy research, analysis, and development, including but not limited to researching relevant data, legislation and policies from other states, and analyzing the impact of legislation.
• Maintain data files to support policy and programmatic efforts
Team Collaboration and Project Management
• Contribute to implementation of overall WREN work plan and support special events and projects;
• Communicate regularly and proactively with Policy and Government Relations Department about workflow and progress on key tasks; and
• Provide administrative support as needed.
WREN seeks an experienced, entrepreneurial, and motivated individual with a commitment to building a diverse and inclusive movement for gender justice. Qualified candidates should be able to demonstrate:
• A keen interest in advancing women, girls, and gender expansive people in South Carolina;
• Experience conducting literature reviews and other research;
• Ability to work both collaboratively across internal and external teams and independently, yet to ask pertinent questions;
• Strong attention to detail and organizational skills;
• Excellent relationship management and interpersonal skills;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to follow up and meet deadlines,
• Flexibility in approach and willingness to adapt when necessary; and
• Demonstrated ability and willingness to learn, think strategically, show initiative, work collaboratively to achieve goals, and meet deadlines.
How to Apply
WREN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, or military service.
Deadline for applications is Friday, September 15 2023. Please email cover letter, resume, three references, and any accommodations requests to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Policy Associate” in the subject line.
Only qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls, please