Job Opening: Communications Specialist
by WREN Staff on Apr 27, 2022
The Women’s Rights and Empowerment Network (WREN) is a statewide, nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that is building a movement to advance the health, economic well-being, and rights of women, girls, gender expansive people, and their families in South Carolina. WREN engages and influences diverse audiences – from our 40,000+ member database, hundreds of non-profit partners, elected officials, business leaders, donors, and the general public.
WREN seeks a Communications Specialist for the Policy and Programs Team. The Communications Specialist will report to the Director of Policy and Government Relations.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary range: $45,000 – $60,000, depending on experience and qualifications.
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, paid time off and holidays, contribution to retirement plan, and support for professional development.
- This is a full-time position, based in Columbia, SC, with some flexibility for remote work. Some evening and weekend hours may be required.
The Communications Specialist will develop and disseminate creative and informative content to educate and engage WREN’s audiences on our policy and programmatic priorities. They will help inform and inspire our audiences to participate in a diverse and inclusive movement for gender justice.
Essential tasks include:
- Develops content to educate WREN members on key policy and programmatic topics.
- Develops legislative calls to action for WREN members to contact their elected officials using advocacy action software.
- Covers legislative hearings and other events through livestream technology, while assisting in generating comments and live updates on social media channels.
- Develops fact sheets, presentations, blogs, and other written content.
- Assist in creating and scheduling new and exciting online engagement strategies and campaigns including content for the website and social media platforms.
- Maintains consistent communication with policy and programmatic partners.
- Assists in developing and executing project work plans.
- Maintains a content calendar for policy and programs team
- Develops educational campaigns on key issues.
- Updates WREN website with relevant policy and programmatic updates.
- Researches and maintains data and sources.
- Assists in event planning and execution.
- Other duties as assigned.
WREN seeks a creative and entrepreneurial person with a commitment to building an equitable state for women, girls, and gender expansive people. Qualified candidates should be able to demonstrate:
- At least 4 years of experience in communications with a variety of audiences preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with print and online communications, new media, and editing.
- Understanding of how to effectively leverage visuals through social media.
- Strong project management skills.
- Efficiency in multitasking and delivering consistent work in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in WordPress, Canva and Adobe.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team, under deadlines, without close supervision; self-direction in the initiation, coordination and completion of tasks, acute attention to detail is essential.
How to Apply
WREN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages individuals from all backgrounds to apply for this position. WREN does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, or ability.
Deadline to apply is May 27, 2022. Please email cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com. If you have any accommodations requests, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview; no phone calls, please.