It’s the Final Countdown!
by WREN Staff on Apr 21, 2023
It’s the final countdown to the end of the first year of South Carolina’s two-year legislative session. We have been working incredibly hard all session long, and need your help to finish this year strong!
With 9 legislative days left, here’s what’s left on our list:
- 3 bad bills to defeat
- 2 great bills to pass
- 1 way for you to take action
3 bad bills that we need to stop
- Abortion Bans: Both the SC House and Senate are still considering extreme abortion bans H.3774. Let lawmakers know that they don’t get to make decisions about our bodies and our futures; we do.
- Anti-Trans Healthcare Ban: S.627 will prohibit transgender youth from accessing best practice, age-appropriate medical care, in consultation with their parents and doctors. Let lawmakers know that they should not stand in the way of young people’s access to the best medical care possible.
- Censorship Bill: H.3728 will censor information in our schools. Let lawmakers know that they should not interfere with what teachers can teach and students can learn.
2 great bills to get over the line
- Paid Leave for Educators: H.3908 would provide teachers and other school employees with up to 6 weeks paid parental leave, which would make South Carolina the only state in the southeast to offer this benefit to educators. Let lawmakers know that it’s time for South Carolina to stand up for our educators and their families!
- Eliminate the Tax on Period Products: H.3563 would remove the sales tax from period products. Just like food, period products are necessary for our health and well-being. Let lawmakers know that it’s time to remove this tax.
Why do we need you to take action now? Because more than 5 million South Carolinians will be safer, healthier, and more economically secure when you speak up. Thank you for standing with us in building a better South Carolina for all.
P.S. RIGHT NOW an abortion ban is being fast tracked in the Senate! Donate today and your gifts will be matched. Your contributions are essential to fuel all aspects of our work.