Demand South Carolina legislators repeal abortion restrictions! Hearing Scheduled!
by Brandi Ellison on Jun 29, 2022
House of Representatives Ad Hoc Committee on Abortion is meeting on Thursday, July 7, 2022.
The South Carolina House of Representatives has put together a special Ad Hoc Committee to consider NEW legislation related to the Supreme Court’s decision on abortion. This Committee has set its first meeting date to hear from the public.
This is a critical moment for the voices of South Carolinians to be heard! Members of this committee are on the record about wanting to see a total and complete ban on abortion in South Carolina. The hearing will be one of the few opportunities for public testimony on the future of abortion access in South Carolina, and we need abortion rights supporters to show up and speak out.
The House Ad Hoc Committee on Abortion
Thursday, July 7, 2022
Hearing Room: Blatt Building, Room 110
10:30am- Testifiers and fill the room efforts- meet at room 110 in the Blatt Building
We are anticipating a line and limited seats in hearing room.
11:00am-Until- Rally and SpeakOut outside Blatt Building
12:00pm - Committee Hearing Starts (for those who are attending)
Contact Committee Members and Tell Them to Repeal Abortion Restrictions: Take Action Now!
For Testifiers: Here’s what we know:
- The Committee will only accept in person verbal testimony on the day of the hearing. Sign-up for testimony on July 7 will be first come first serve, on site in Blatt, Room 110. There will not be a virtual option for testimony.
- There is no guarantee that you will be heard. Legislative staff has not been instructed on how long the hearing will be. They may run out of time based on the number of testifiers and time allotted.
- We encourage you to email your testimony to each committee member (see list below). You can email your written testimony if you are not able to attend on July 7. We also encourage you to email your comments if you plan to testify in person.
- Legislative staff has indicated that testifiers could have up to 15 minutes to give their testimony, BUT based on our experience, you will likely only have 2-3 minutes. Make sure your most important points appear first and can be stated within 2-3 minutes. Again, you can always submit your longer comments through email to each committee member.
Ad Hoc Committee Members:
John McCravy JohnMcCravy@schouse.gov
Micah Caskey MicahCaskey@schouse.gov
Heather Crawford HeatherCrawford@schouse.gov
Chandra Dillard ChandraDillard@schouse.gov
Jackie Hayes JackieHayes@schouse.gov
Rosalyn Henderson-Myers RosalynHenderson-Myers@schouse.gov
David Hiott DavidHiott@schouse.gov
Jeffery Johnson JeffJohnson@schouse.gov
Josiah Magnuson JosiahMagnuson@schouse.gov
Travis Moore email@example.com
Melissa Oremus MelissaOremus@schouse.gov
David Weeks DavidWeeks@schouse.gov
What should be in your testimony? Demand that legislators maintain and expand abortion access in South Carolina. Research shows that being denied an abortion has serious consequences for a person’s health, well-being, and financial security. ** Remember to include your personal story and any compelling data
Who should speak? The committee wants to hear from anyone and everyone who could be impacted by an abortion ban. That means YOU!
Nervous or have questions about testifying? WREN recently hosted two testifier trainings to help you learn the ins and outs of testifying. You can watch one of them here.
Abortion Access Resources link here
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Meeting Agenda: https://www.scstatehouse.gov/agendas/124h12453.pdf
- 5399 Bill Text: https://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess124_2021-2022/bills/5399.htm
We will update this page and WREN members as soon as we know more information. Please check back for updates.