Can’t stop won’t stop…Fighting for gender equity in SC
by Ashley Lidow on May 13, 2019
As the 2019 session comes to a close you may find me frolicking around Columbia singing songs about being free and enjoying the summer, but do not let that fool you; we at WREN do not stop working when the legislature adjourns.
In fact, the off session is a great time to organize and make deeper connections with legislators and the community. Join us in some off session activities to keep your civic engagement up while the legislators are in your home districts:
These events will provide an overview of the first year of our two-year legislative session and you’ll hear from advocates and legislative leaders about their experiences and what they’re anticipating for 2020.
- Schedule an Advocacy 101 training for you and a group of friends.
This training will provide information on the mission and legislative goals of WREN. Attendees of this training will also learn South Carolina-specific information on the legislative process and how to advocate for effective and beneficial policies that elevate the status of women in our state. If you have a group or organization that is interested in receiving an Advocacy 101 training, contact Megan Plassmeyer at MPlassmeyer@scwren.org
- Schedule an in-district meeting with your House Representative or Senator.
Building relationships with your legislator is crucial to engaging in the legislative process. You can make an individual meeting to discuss matters that are important to you like pay equity, invite them to come speak at a meeting for a community group that you are a part of, or you can invite them to come see the work you are doing to better your community. All of these options will give you a chance to connect and inform your legislator.
To find the phone number to contact your legislator while they are back in the district visit scstatehouse.gov, go to their member page, and then use the number listed under the home address. Below is the example using my Representative, Beth Bernstein.
- Host a letter writing party to support bills you want to move in 2020.
You can find WREN’s blog with letter templates here.
- Many people in our state aren’t aware of the continued attacks on women’s reproductive rights in SC. Share this page with 5 people to help us fight back against abortion restrictions.
- Stay connected with WREN on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram as we share events in the community.
- Want to dive deeper into WREN’s work and provide us with your expertise? Join WREN’s Strategic Technical Advisory Group, which includes individuals who have special expertise that is relevant to WREN’s mission and to our educational, advocacy and political activities.
These experts work in medicine, public health, law, economics, advocacy, and more. Advisors provide input and expertise to WREN staff and board members on an as-needed basis, and from time to time, the staff or board may engage advisers in projects or initiatives. If you believe you can help, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.